Brusa Bezistan
Sarajevo Museum 1878-1914
The Despić House
The Jewish Museum
Svrzo’s House

Brusa Bezistan

This substantial building was erected in 1551 by Rustem Pasha, Grand Vizier of Suleyman the Magnificent. It was used for selling the silk that Rustem Pasha himself produced in Bursa.

  • Brusa Bezistan
  • Brusa Bezistan
  • Brusa Bezistan
  • Brusa Bezistan

Sarajevo Museum 1878-1914

This dependency houses the permanent exhibition of Sarajevo from 1878 to 1918, displaying Sarajevo during the Austro-Hungarian period.

  • Sarajevo Museum 1878-1914
  • Sarajevo Museum 1878-1914
  • Sarajevo Museum 1878-1914
  • Sarajevo Museum 1878-1914

The Despić House

The house belonged to the wealthy Orthodox Christian Despić family, which donated the house to the City, along with another property now housing the Museum of Literature and the Performing Arts.

  • The Despić House
  • The Despić House
  • The Despić House
  • The Despić House

The Jewish Museum

The Jewish Museum or Museum of the Jews of Bosnia and Herzegovina is housed in the oldest synagogue in Bosnia and Herzegovina, built in 1581.

  • The Jewish Museum
  • The Jewish Museum
  • The Jewish Museum
  • The Jewish Museum

Svrzo’s House

Svrzo’s House represents the lifestyle of an urban Muslim family in the late 18th and throughout the 19th century.

  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Brusa Bezistan

    This substantial building was erected in 1551 by Rustem Pasha, Grand Vizier of Suleyman the Magnificent. It was used for selling the silk that Rustem Pasha himself produced in Bursa.

  • Sarajevo Museum 1878-1918

    This dependency houses the permanent exhibition of Sarajevo from 1878 to 1918, displaying Sarajevo during the Austro-Hungarian period.

  • The Jewish Museum

    The Jewish Museum or Museum of the Jews of Bosnia and Herzegovina is housed in the oldest synagogue in Bosnia and Herzegovina, built in 1581.

  • Svrzo’s House

    Svrzo’s House represents the lifestyle of an urban Muslim family in the late 18th and throughout the 19th century.

  • The Despić House

    The house belonged to the wealthy Orthodox Christian Despić family, which donated the house to the City, along with another property now housing the Museum of Literature and the Performing Arts.

Location

Svrzo’s House

Svrzo’s House represents the lifestyle of an urban Muslim family in the late 18th and throughout the 19th century.

The house was built by a prominent Sarajevo family, the Glođos, a member of which was kadi – Islamic judge-administrator – Munib effendi Glođo, famous for his involvement in Bosnia’s struggle for autonomy within the Ottoman Empire. The family failed for want of a male heir, and the property passed by marriage to another prominent Sarajevo family, Svrzo. Svrzo’s House is a typical example of the architecture of that period, with its division into the selamluk or public quarters and the haremluk or private, family quarters. It was purchased from the Svrzo family, refurbished and opened to the public in the 1960s. Following the siege of Sarajevo, the house was renovated and again opened to the public in 1997. Further major renovations were carried out on the house in 2005, when the roof was repaired, the cobbles were relaid, obsolete service installations were replaced, and the painted decoration on the musandera (built-in range of cupboards) in the main halvat (drawing-room), which had faded over the years, was restored. The Museum has published a bilingual – Bosnian and English – monograph on Svrzo’s house.

Opening times:

15 April to 15 October: 10.00 to 18.00, Saturdays 10.00 to 15.00 15 October to 15 April: 10.00 to 16.00, Saturdays 10.00 to 15.00 Closed on Sundays 

Contact:

Glođina 8
71000 Sarajevo
Bosna i Hercegovina

Tel: +387 033 535 264

 

Gallery

  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House
  • Svrzo’s House